Although I
had the day off, I wasted it rather, watching the news over and over again, as
I always do, obsessively, when the world shudders a little. But did the world
shudder any more on Friday than last week? Facebook is suddenly full of people
complaining that all this revulsion about the events in Paris, compared to
near-silence about a terrible bombing in Beirut the day before, shows our
callous Eurocentrism, if not racism. On the one hand this is so ridiculous that
it hardly needs a response: certainly I feel more emotionally connected to
Paris than to Beirut, or indeed than to Wellington or Toronto. It’s virtually
next door, I’ve been to Paris many times, and love it. On the other hand they
do have a point, perhaps. “News” is a departure from the norm. In some
countries, we classify mass bombings and attacks as routine, even if they
aren’t.
Sunk in
these muddled thoughts, I was actually pleased to be “rescued” by a plea in our
Whatsapp group for someone to go and help in nearby Petra, where the coastguard
was bringing in 92 people who would need to be registered for the port police.
With my recent experience registering the eight Afghans who had been brought in
by the coastguard in Molyvos, I considered myself a veteran of registration and
immediately offered to go if MIP would come to get me, since Heleen had our car
at Oxy.
MIP is the
Starfish car, named affectionately after its registration plate. More
importantly, the MIPs are our drivers. The guys who rotate in the MIP shift,
which like all our shifts operates 24 hours a day, work incredibly hard, buying
items from flypapers to plastic bags, searching through boxes for clothes,
loading and unloading everything from sandwiches to carpenters’ materials, and
driving all over our part of the island. One of the core workers at Starfish is
a guy with an endearing personality who successfully overcame a serious drug
problem to become one of the most reliable, conscientious and tireless MIP
drivers, the person I would be most likely to call if I were in any kind of
trouble here. The MIPs also transport other Starfish volunteers when needed,
giving rise to a verb, as in “Please mip me up to Oxy”. So I was mipped up to
Petra.
Two boats
had been brought in, one with 26 people on board and one with 66. Once I had
figured out how to bypass the wire fence blocking the quayside, by going down
some steps and along the waterside, without looking down, I went and joined the
medics and support staff of the SCM (the Salaam Cultural Museum, a slightly
puzzling name for a group of aid workers) who had come to receive the refugees
on the jetty. The SCM people often work in the medical tent at Oxy. None of them
had any experience with registration, but luckily some of them speak Arabic,
and since the first boat consisted entirely of Iraqi Kurds from Mosul, half of
whom appeared to belong to a single family, Arabic was essential.
Even with
the assistance of J, my SCM Arabic interpreter, registering the Iraqis took
rather a long time, and when we got to the second, larger group, who were from
Syria, some of them Palestinian, one of the other SCM people starting
registering half of the group herself, to speed things up. Many of the Syrians
had passports, which made things easier.
Eventually we were done, we had some
decidedly odd-looking and inconsistent spellings and a number of people whose birthday
consisted only of a year, but we were done. I totted up the totals. 26 in one
group, 67 in the other, and gave the registration forms to the officer who was
waiting for them. His face darkened. “The number is wrong”, he said. “It is
wrong,” it must be 66 in this group, and look, you have 67.” The SCM woman and
I started furiously scanning our sheets to see if we had registered anyone
twice. One of the babies, perhaps? Nope, didn’t look like it. Couldn’t the
coastguard have possibly perhaps miscounted, I suggested, as meekly as I could.
“Impossible,” said the officer. The coastguard had counted, and then the port
officers had counted again. It was 66.
Ten minutes
later the problem magically evaporated. “It was 67,” announced the officer.
Starfish
had ordered two UNHCR buses to take these people straight to Mytilene, and once
I was sure my help was no longer needed, I went home.
We had
another Sunday meeting. Again some 70 people crowded around the room, in spite
of the fact that an entire shift was unable to attend. Melinda told us the sad
story of the fire that had taken place the previous evening. A tourist boat
(entirely unrelated to refugees) had caught fire in the harbour, due to some
technical malfunction. The fire had spread to the boat of a local man who is
dependent on it for his livelihood. Melinda said she would be raising funds to
buy him a new boat. The two boats on fire had drifted close to some nets,
causing further damage. All this had prompted certain malcontents among the
locals to accuse Melinda: it was all her fault, she had brought the refugees
here, she was destroying the harbour, destroying the island. Only a minority of
islanders are hostile to the help being provided to the refugees. Some actively
join the aid effort, while others would like to help but are unsure how to.
Like everything here, it is complicated. But some locals who are frustrated are
inclined to blame everything on the refugees and on those who help them, even a
tourist boat with a short circuit.
Two
announcements were made. First, the Whatsapp group – which was new when we
arrived less than three weeks ago – was already obsolete (it only takes 100
participants) and we were graduating to a new communication system called Slack. I looked at a
volunteer who works for Google, trying to read his face and to deduce his
opinion of Slack.
Second, in future, volunteers wishing to sign up with
Starfish would be asked to commit for at least a month. This sent me into a
depression: when would I ever be able to come for a whole month again? The fact
is, this has been the most extraordinary experience of my life, and I find the
thought that I might not be able to return here almost unbearable.
No comments:
Post a Comment