On 21 November I drove down the road to refuel the car,
and got into a discussion with the attendant, a good-looking man in his
thirties, about the influx of volunteers. He was irritated by what he took to
be the implication that volunteers were good for business.
"Yes we may be making €4,000 more than usual this
autumn. But next summer we'll we making losses of ten times that amount --
€40,000 for sure!"
He expressed a fear that I heard again and again. Some
tour operators have suspended their trips to Lesvos, which is set to cause
further hardship on an island already dealing with multiple challenges.
Hoteliers, restaurant owners and everyone else who depends on tourism for their
livelihood are holding their breath, terrified of what next summer may bring,
or not bring. (I later conducted a mini internet survey of Dutch tour
operators, from major companies such as D-Reizen and Neckermann to Greece
specialists such as Ross Holidays, and was happy to find that not one has
scrapped Lesvos from their catalogues. The UK company Thomas Cook does appear
to have suspended it from their list of destinations, however.)
I walked up into the village, and a man about my age
accosted me, asking my name and inviting me to sit and chat. We sat down on the
steps. He was G, who owns a local produce store. Like many villagers, he was
full of compassion for the refugees. His only concern was the debris. It is
true that on some beaches there may be piles of discarded life jackets and
dinghies for a while until they are cleared away. But I remember how astonished
I was when I arrived on Lesvos at the end of October 2015, when 7,000 refugees
a day were arriving on the island, to see that most places were very clean. The
local council operates regular rubbish collections and groups of locals and
volunteers frequently organise cleaning days.
G remained sombre about the future of the island's
tourism, and after we had talked for a while, he voiced an opinion that I
encountered several times:
"It is partly because you are here that the
refugees come to Lesvos!"
I said that this makes no sense, that the refugees are
fleeing from war and devastation, that they frequently have only the vaguest
idea of where they are going. One of their first questions, on disembarking on
the beach, is often "Where am I?" It is the Turkish boat mafia that
push the boat out and point the hapless man who has been set at the helm –
"That way!" Does G really think that the boat mafia choose
destinations on the basis of how likely it is that volunteers will rush to the
refugees' aid? This misconception remains a puzzle to me.
I bade G farewell and carried on up the hill to the
village's proud library, which serves the community as a lending library and
has an impressive store of historical books. It also has a modernizing
influence, helping to introduce users to new technologies, and maintains
international ties with summer schools in Canada and Norway. The librarian
emphasized his solidarity with the refugees:
"Of course – my grandparents were refugees!"
he exclaimed.
Forced migration is at the core of the island's
history. Thousands of Greeks fled from the Ottoman Empire in boats in 1922-1923
after what the Greeks call "the Asia Minor Catastrophe", part of what
is known as the "Greek genocide".
Many settled on nearby Lesvos; over half of the island's population of
just 89,000 descend from those refugees. This undoubtedly explains why, despite
the locals' concern for their future, so many identify with the refugees in a
sense that is horribly lacking in certain other parts of Europe.
I spoke to the librarian about my ideas for Lesvos to
become the centre of recycling for the Aegean – surely all the plastic water
bottles, life jackets and rubber dinghies can be turned into something useful.
V smiled ruefully, and mused on the engines salvaged from the dinghies, which
have been stacked up in sheds all over the village without anyone taking the
trouble to distinguish ones that could be re-used from those that need to be
thrown away.
Recycling is a funny business in Greece. In Molyvos,
all the rubbish is jumbled together. In Mytilene, the librarian told me, it is
separated. In one area, at least, the Greeks have an advanced recycling system.
People throughout Greece collect bottle caps, and once they have collected a
ton (!) of caps, they present them to a charity, which uses the resulting funds
to make wheelchairs for the disabled. Surely one could build on such a plan,
which is very popular in Greece, to popularize a more comprehensive approach to
recycling?
I also spoke of my idea for a museum of migration on
Lesvos. I would later discover that other people are already working on
recycling – developing plans to turn life jackets into baby carriers or
rucksacks, for instance – and that material is also already being collected for
a future museum of migration. But at this point I was still nursing a hope that
I might be able to influence people, to help the island develop ideas that
would help its economic recovery. The librarian, although he liked the sound of
both projects, said:
"It is always the beginning that is most
difficult". He also took a more judicious view of his influence, and mine.
"We are just small people," he said. I certainly felt very small.
I drove down to the beach overlooked by the nearby
lighthouse to meet up with Suleman, a warm and witty Londoner with a sharply
perceptive view of events around him, with whom I had struck up a friendship
the week before. He has worked a lot on the beaches, helping with new arrivals,
initially with Starfish, and later with Drop in the Ocean and other volunteer
groups. He showed me around his section of the beach, where people only remain
for an hour or two before moving on. There were separate tents for women and
men to change their clothes. The men's tent had a small plant with pink flowers
that struck an incongruous note in the corner. It had stood outside the women's
tent and had been rescued from the wind. Suleman also introduced me to the team
of Greek lifeguards, and I arranged to meet up with their leader and speak to
him the next day.
I have not worked on the beaches myself. Given my age
and my bad hip, I thought I would be better employed elsewhere. Suleman too has
been blogging on his experience here. Since working on the beaches is an
essential part of the work done by volunteers on Lesvos, and involves a much
higher level of emotional intensity than handing out sandwiches, I asked him if
I might quote from his blog, and he kindly agreed. Here are some extracts from
his entries for 5 to 7 November:
5 November 2015
Today I was on beach duty in Eftalou. This is a small
hamlet in the middle of a stretch of beach. The people who meet and greet the
boats give people some water and then send people over to our station, an area
with a few tents. There we give them more water and get them to queue up for a bus
ticket to Oxy. Again, it is a managed process to ensure fair queuing and no
scrums.
Single men without families have to walk the route,
about 7 km. Some men try it on to get onto the bus – quite understandably, I'd
do it myself. I've perfected my own way to deal with that. I say that I can put
them on the bus but it will mean that a woman or child will not be able to get
on. I then ask them if they are happy with that, in their hearts, while gently
patting their hearts. They have all then agreed to walk. It is terrible that we
cannot allow them all on the bus after their boat journey but there is little
choice, given the limited number of buses.
We were expecting a slow day on the beach. The Greek
president was coming to Lesbos to have his picture taken handing out bottles to
refugees. The allegation is that the Greeks did not want these photos spoiled
with more pesky refugees coming across the sea and got their Turkish
counterparts to slow things down. Certainly that seemed to have been what
happened.
The day was beautiful and when we finished litter
picking on the beach, including moving many of the discarded life jackets, we
sat on a wall drinking water and looking at the beautiful sea. I was joking to
my partner that I had packed everything except a sun hat and that my crown
would probably burn – as well as dazzle the cars passing immediately behind us.
(Strangely, 45 minutes later an English guy I didn't know walked over to "our"
refugees – see below – and started offering them sun hats. He saw me and
offered me a hat. Probably he thought "poor Afghani," or maybe he was
just being nice).
You can see Turkey from where we were and we saw a
couple of orange dots coming towards us. As they got closer we could see they
were boats: orange is the colour of the life jackets of the people who were
crammed onto an inflatable dinghy. Orange life jackets usually means Syrians, as
these life jackets are the least awful and therefore the most expensive. Black
life jackets and car inner tubes are the cheapest and usually worn by the
Afghans. Some of the so-called "safety vests" given to the desperate
migrants by the scummy people-smugglers are even worse: thin plastic swimming
rings and arm bands.
One of the boats landed west of us and one arrived
exactly where we had been sitting. Before coming here I had tried to mentally
prepare myself for all sorts of horrible stuff, including what it would be like
to see dead bodies. But what I had not expected was seeing the sheer joy on about
eighty faces in a boat for having safely reached Greece. Little did they know
what awaited them in later parts of their journey. As soon as they were in
earshot, the Norwegians started clapping and we all slowly joined in (slowly so
as not to scare the refugees into thinking they should not have landed there).
The refugees joined in. The Norwegians from the volunteer organisation Drop in
the Ocean arrived from nowhere like blond dervishes, went into the sea up to
their knees, helped the people ashore and then disappeared. Once the refugees
were all on the beach, families started hugging and kissing each other. I was
absolutely not prepared for this show of pure joy. It was beautiful.
We gave them a few minutes to recover and then
directed them to their first Greek queue – for bus tickets and basic
information from me and an Arabic translator, who joined me. One of the Syrian
guys wanted to know how much the bus would cost and insisted on paying. It
became a battle of the stubborn and I won. The winning line was that it was
from our hearts and he would offend us. We had been briefed that we were probably
the first people to offer them any kindness since they had left home. One of
the Syrian men grabbed the side of my head when the bus arrived, pulled it down
and kissed my shiny forehead. Very sweet. Kind of a shame it wasn't one of the
beautiful Syrian women.
There was quite a long wait for the second bus and I chatted
to one of the Syrian lads. He was asking for shoes for his family whose feet were
wet. Their jeans were also wet. He said the Turkish people-smugglers had thrown
their bags into the sea so that they could cram more people into the boat. We
managed to rustle up a few pairs of shoes, though some were the wrong size.
Each passenger pays around $1,000 for the crossing [NB
This sum kept rising: by the time I left on 27 November I heard of people
paying $2,500. Some suggested that the sum included certain bribes–BJ]. Cheaper
deals are kindly offered in stormy weather, when the risk of drowning rises exponentially.
It is Afghan refugees who are most likely to accept this discount and brave the
storm, since they have the least money.
About five minutes after we had got the refugees out
of the boat a group of Greek men arrived (we often see the same faces) to cut
and remove large plastic sheets from the plastic boat, remove the plywood
floors and the outboard engine. The plywood is used to make the sides of animal
shelters and the plastic is used to make waterproof roofs. It all seems a bit
distasteful but the benefit is that it does get the ugly boats off the beach
and out of the way for the next rescue.
We hung about after lunch. We observed a Greek man
arrive from somewhere on his motor bike, pick up rubbish on the road and leave.
The Greek people are an inspiration with both how clean they keep the island
(everyone seems involved in its cleanliness) and their welcoming view to the
migrants. If we in Northern Europe had hundreds of thousands of people head for
our shores, I am sure we would get out the machine guns, barbed wire and patrol
boats. The Greek view seems to range from slight negativity (the minority) to warm
sympathy, help and hospitality.
Later on I got a lift into Molyvos for a nice seafood
pasta meal. I joined some of the volunteers and three Syrian men. I did not
know why these men had been brought over to join us, or by whom: possibly there
was some family connection. It was good to hear their stories and chat to them.
They bore no visible animosity to the West for bombing the hell out of their
country. They were very anti-Assad and considered it vital to bring democracy
to Syria. I asked if democracy was more important than food, water, housing and
electricity. They said it was. They added that if the Americans really wanted Assad
to go he would be gone.
6 November 2015
I was on the afternoon shift. We all chatted for a
while as there was not much to do without "customers". While we were
chatting, we saw that one of two refugee boats we had seen earlier was making
its way to us. We started waving to them and getting ready for their arrival. It
turned out to be a boat of about 50 Afghan refugees. Again the Norwegian
dervishes had the boat ashore and people out in minutes. The women and children
were rushed to one tent to undress and put on the replacement clothes the
Norwegians had brought. The men had to wring out their clothes and dry them on
rocks, since we had no dry clothes for them. There was a collection of shoes
(dried from previous refugees, I think) that the men could swap into. Again,
the boat dismantlers were there before we had got the kids into the tent.
. . . Later I went to Oxy. The only interesting thing
that happened there was that I had to escalate a 70-year-old double amputee
diabetic onto the line for the bus for Kara Tepe. We had no wheelchair or safe
place for him to sleep. The guy weighed a ton, and two of us manhandled him to
a chair some distance away.
7 November 2015
. . . At the end of the shift I went back to Molyvos,
extremely hungry: had two starters and a main course. I ate at Captain's Table.
Towards the end of dinner, we had a report of some Syrians who had just landed
and one of them had a broken leg and was banging his head against a wall. They
called a doctor and a psychiatrist. I paid up and went to see what was
happening. The other Syrians were in great humour and the last twenty shook my
hand. Unusually, even the one woman in their number. Very touching. I got to
the injured guy who was sitting on the pavement in wet clothes, wrapped in a
blanket. He was in a state of shock and nobody was doing anything. I embraced
him and he burst into tears. I suppose it was the shock of a tubby bald bloke
doing that, especially given the number of hot Scandinavians around. I then
told the paramedic to help me lift him into the car, which we managed without causing
him any further pain. Another hug, more tears and we parted. Intense. Our paths
will probably never cross again.
No comments:
Post a Comment